[lbo-talk] Ignorance in action (was democrats in action)

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Jun 3 06:52:30 PDT 2003

Let's see the incoherence in this response-- remembering that the Democratic appointees at the FCC opposed yesterday's decision.

----- Original Message ----- From: "R" <rhisiart at charter.net> -Like many independent commissions,

>the FCC is not an independent commission, except in theory. "independent
>commission" is a meaningless cliché, which politicians love because it's
>misleading and false yet sounds good to the ignorant and uninformed.
>it's no more independent from what
>it's supposed to regulate than the FDA is independent from the drug
>industry.

First, "independent" in this meaning means independent from direct Presidential control, although with a general three-member majority, it's a bit of a misnomer, but that's the meaning as opposed to the EPA or other regulatory agencies that have no members from parties other than the President.

Making tautological statements that define things to prove the original point that your evidence was seeking to prove-- ie. that Powell was the result of Clinton's choice as an appointee, which is untrue, but becomes true in your new point, which makes your original point irrelevant, but you can disingenuously ignore the disinformation you tried to promote by this rhetorical sleight of hand.

-the FCC requires that there be a balance -between Democrats and Republicans on the commission.

>right. between people bearing the label democrat and bearing the label
>republican. and that's it.

True-- but again your point was that Powell was the result of Democratic Party choice, which is untrue. And yesterday's decision at the FCC proves the exact opposite point, that Democrats vote quite differently from Republican choices for the FCC. But keep the rhetorical sophistry up; it reminds me of George Bush on why his tax cuts really help the poor.

-(Note that today's -deregulation decision was opposed by the two Democratic appointees).

>everyone knows that. so what? i've heard them speak. i admire their
>intentions. they simply came up with too little too late, as democrats
have
>been doing for years.

Everyone knows that? You were indicating that "Democratic-appointee Powell" represented the will of the Democratic Party. More sophistry.

Anyways, enough on going through your points. They all same the same thing. Democrats and Republicans are the same, except when they are different, but that doesn't matter because they are the same.

-- Nathan Newman