[lbo-talk] FW: Fallen Comrade

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Jun 3 10:17:55 PDT 2003

Memorial service for Howard - or rather a celeberation of his life - was held last Sunday in the Fells Point restaurant Captain James. He had a great life as the attached note suggested to the very end - he never "retired" but was actively involved in community affairs until he fell ill three weeks ago. In the lat few years of his life he was active in urban renewal of Washington Hill, a Baltimore community just north of Fells Point, wher ehe was instrumental in establishing cooperative housing and a community association (this is how I met him). He was remembered for his steadfast commitment fighting the arrogance of power and standing for the working class and a clear cut vision what needs to be done - organize!.

Several thoughts crossed my mind at that memorial service. First was I wish my life and death would follow the same path - active involvement in public matters to the very end, no retirement. But I also realised that my views of what "needs to be done" as not as straightforward as his and ffilled with shades of grey. The arrogance of power is greater than ever, but fighting it is avery different and more complicated thing than it was 50 or so years ago (Jim Crow or Vietnam war provided an easy focus and target and a clear vision of what needs to be done, today it is more like punching molasses that engulfs us slowly but surely). Another thought was that although I am not exactly a spring chicken, I was way below the average age of that memorial's participant (which judging from appearance was above 70) - there were very few young people outside Howard's family. Incidentally, the average age of community organizers in my area is nalso relatively high. Is it me, or me-generation is more intersting in consumption than fighting the arogance of power?

Wojtek