[lbo-talk] Quakers

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Tue Jun 3 15:28:54 PDT 2003

Yes well...

Nixon was never very Quaker-y despite his renowned adoration of his Quaker mother. Having a Quaker parent does not, I don't think, really equal Quaker background, considering that he was not raised to be even remotely Quaker. His father was non-practising Protestant I believe, which is mugh more "Nixon's background".

It's been along time since the Quaker mainstream was anti-drink or anti-tobacco (although the latter on the multinational blah blah etc etc front, might be somewhat negative). Granted I only know Australian, English, and American Quakers, and mainly the first, but in general they're not less likely to drink or, say, play music, than anyone else.

I can't recall which one was which, it's been years now, but there was a marked distinction between, for example, Fox and Penn as early Quakers in their attitude to singing, dancing, and peasures of the flesh.

Catherine