[lbo-talk] Chomsky

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Jun 4 12:17:47 PDT 2003

Justin wrote:

> She was contemplating why the media were so craven and manipulable (over Iraq and the
> Bushies generally), so I mentioned Chomsky and Herman's Manufacturing Consent.
> Chomsky? she said. Doesn't he do semiotics or something like that? Well, something like, I
> said, generative grammar, but he also does political criticism and commentary. Oh, she said. > She had never heard of that body of work. We live in a small world. Most politically aware
> and intelligent people in this country have no idea that Chomsky is even a political analyst.

Depends on your definition of politically aware.

> From a marketing standpoint, she says, btw, that its absolutely insane for the Dems to dilute
> their core message and alienate their base by trying to be GOP Lite; successful marketing
> calls for building a smaller but very loyal base.

A winner take all electoral system doesn't resemble a market. If the Dems had a loyal voting base of 30% but were unable to attract any more than 10% of the rest of the voting population, they would be perpetually screwed (unless they were consistently able to add voters to their loyal base).

-- Luke -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030604/afc2dfe8/attachment.htm>