[lbo-talk] 14 characteristics of fascism

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Jun 4 12:31:51 PDT 2003

Doug:
> and Pinochet (Chile). He found the regimes all had 14 things in
> common, and he calls these the identifying characteristics of fascism.

He forgot:

(15) independent judiciary, which is one of the first casualties of fascist regimes,

(16) corporatist social welfare programs - financed by the state and dispensed by conservative, usually "faith based" service delivery organizations, and

(17) legitimating ideology based on the "reverse eschatology" genre of a historical narrative (i.e. "we had a glorious past, the weaklings and outsiders that inflitrated our society squandered it, and now we are restoring it back to its full glory").

Wojtek