[lbo-talk] Wolfowitz Speaks Plainly: Oil Was The Prime Motivation

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Wed Jun 4 13:41:52 PDT 2003

> Am I the only one who thinks this is being unfair to Wolfowitz? The way I
> read it, he's saying North Korea, having no oil, will collapse of its own
> weight, whereas Saddam's regime could have lived off its oil forever, thus
> necessitating an invasion.
>
> Seth

I suppose one could view it that way. But given the endless spin from W's corner (now the anti-war crowd is supposedly "obsessed" with WMD when Those In The Know know better, etc), one can never be sure. At bottom, though, Iraq's oil was and remains the prime motivation for any action in that area, Saddam or no Saddam.

DP