[lbo-talk] Re: 14 characteristics of fascism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jun 5 10:46:03 PDT 2003

Jon Johanning wrote:

> Most of the characteristics Britt lists are actually properties than can
> be observed in any nation in a state of war.

Without exception, I have never heard an argument of the form "the U.S. is heading towards fascism" that does not have the following form hidden within in it:

All rabbits are mammals. Therefore all mammals are rabbits.

We need a new version of the story of the boy who cried wolf. Perhaps someone on the list could invent one having the following form.

The last time the boy cried wolf everyone still believed him so they all ran out to the pasture to fight the wolf and a python sneaked in the back door and ate up all the children.

Carrol