[lbo-talk] The Incredible Putin Balancing Act Continues

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Fri Jun 6 01:28:52 PDT 2003

God he's making out like a bandit.

Putin Says Russia Ready To Develop 'Unique' Partnership With US

EVIAN. June 3 (Interfax) - Russian President Vladimir Putin said Russia is ready to further develop relations with the U.S.

At a briefing in Evian, Putin recalled Russia's firm position on Iraq and said that it could have caused President Bush "to take offense, not to come to St. Petersburg and head for further confrontation in the relations between Moscow and Washington."

"But Bush acted like a serious politician who wants to develop relations with Russia and the whole world. It would be stupid to push back a hand outstretched in friendship, to turn one's back and sulk. We are not going to make any coalitions," Putin said.

"The U.S. is Russia's major partner, and in some areas the United States' role is absolutely unique for Russia," Putin said. "We are talking about issues relating to the strengthening of international security and strategic stability," he said.

Putin disagreed that the U.S. has isolated itself from the rest of the world "Knowing Bush, I'm sure that he does not want that for his country. This is not going to happen," Putin said.

The relations between Russia and the U.S., which are nuclear powers, "determine many things in the world," he said. "In some areas, like the fight against terrorism, the U.S. is a consistent and reliable partner for Russia. I don't agree that the U.S. is isolated now," Putin said.

At the same time, the Russian president said that "the situation with Iraq was largely connected to the fact that the Americans felt they were threatened, felt that their national pride was hurt and felt the need to assert themselves." "This was one of the motives for their actions. I don't think this was done correctly," Putin said.

Recalling that Russia had a firm stance on Iraq, Putin said, "We will continue to defend our positions on issues that affect our country's national interests."

At the same time, Putin said that Russia wants to "develop international cooperation" on key issues relating to the modern world.