[lbo-talk] Re: 14 characteristics of fascism

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Fri Jun 6 10:32:58 PDT 2003

Carrol Cox wrote:

> Without exception, I have never heard an argument of the form "the U.S.
> is heading towards fascism" that does not have the following form hidden
> within in it:
>
> All rabbits are mammals.
> Therefore all mammals are rabbits.

Logical fallacies of the most egregious sort are the stock in trade of politicians of all types. One very good way to teach a logic course is to collect a large sample of fallacies from political discourse on the left, right, or center -- no matter where -- and explain what is wrong with them.

The language game (to use Wittgenstein's term) of politics is not at all like the games of logic, science, etc. Its basic purpose is persuasion -- influencing people to do what you want them to do. And most people are influenced by logic about as much as a three-toed sloth is moved by a string quartet (or a rock band). To get people into motion, you have to use every underhanded rhetorical trick in the book.

That's why I have never aspired to a career in politics. I'd rather let others do the dirty work.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org _______________________________ "For the world is not to be narrowed till it will go into the understanding (which has been done hitherto), but the understanding is to be expanded and opened until it can take in the image of the world." -- Francis Bacon