[lbo-talk] 4th Generation Warfare In Iraq: Fighting In God's Time

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 10:57:04 PDT 2003

[I have a few military geek buds - some are vets. Almost all of them, regardless of political posture, see the occupations of Afghanistan and Iraq as stupid, slopiily executed maneuvers that will end with the US leaving, as former UN weapons inspector and US Marine Scott Ritter once said, "with it's tail between its legs." More military strategist types are reaching the same conclusion. Important to remember that it's spit and polish patriots who are saying these things, not lefty doomsayers.]

Fourth Generation Warfare in Iraq Of Time and the Rivers

By WILLIAM S. LIND

<snip>

...having found that M-1 tanks make poor police patrol cars, we are proposing to put a lot more American troops on Baghdad streets, in Humvees and on foot. Welcome to my parlor, say the Baathist and Shiite spiders to the fly. One RPG round will incinerate any Humvee, and foot patrols will be even easier game. When that happens, we will be back in the tanks, and someone else will control the streets. We could have used Iraq's own army for that purpose, but instead we have sent it home, without pay, providing a vast reservoir of fighters for our enemies. America's "plan" for occupying Iraq seems to have been to identify every possible mistake, then make it.

<snip>

more at http://counterpunch.org/lind06032003.html