Polka Dot Guitar Slinger (was Re: [lbo-talk] Food Fight!)

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Fri Jun 6 13:10:00 PDT 2003

Excuse me for going over the post limit, but --

Eric Alterman wrote:
> Sharon is playing Bush like BB or
> Buddy Guy with a Fender Strat.

As far as style is concerned, I've never cared for Alterman. But that cutesy analogy is as insulting as it is cheap. Yes, a war criminal's monomania is akin to a polka dot guitar slinger's virtuosity. Ugh. A better analogy would be that Sharon is as much a Thanatos to Palestinian self-determination as Buddy is an Eros of late 20th century American music.

And B.B. King doesn't play a Strat.

I was actually listening to the new Buddy Guy album when I read the Alterman clip. The album came out Tuesday. It's acoustic and can stand next to his Alone & Acoustic with Junior Wells. The sixty-six year old Buddy covers pieces from John Lee Hooker, Son House, Johnny Shines, and Muddy Waters.

http://www.buddyguy.net/

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!