[lbo-talk] Opportunity costs of campaigning for Dems

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jun 6 13:31:28 PDT 2003

Carrol Cox wrote:

> (when it probably won't make a difference anyhow)

Perhaps one of the sources of confusion. I mean that such efforts by leftists won't make a difference in the outcome of the election. And on a somewhat related point. The Jackson campaign did bring a rather large contingent of leftist cadre to the DP, and that cadre was committed to doing registration and get-out-the vote activity in the fall election -- an effort which might have made a difference in that election. Moreover, part of the "deal," the pay-off to Jackson for going along, was that money and resources would be devoted to this get-out-the-vote work. The money never materialized.

That is part of my argument that the DP exists primarily to drain off resources from mass-organizing efforts.

I suspect the DP couldn't care less whether Doug (or Yoshie or me) is for them or not.

Carrol