[lbo-talk] Re: 14 characteristics of fascism

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Fri Jun 6 18:41:31 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chip Berlet" <cberlet at igc.org>

> Exactly, and if we have to call state repression under capitalism
> "fascist" then we become apologists for banal repression under
> capitalism by implying it can't happen under "normal" capitalism so it
> has to be fascism.

Somewhere Kevin Phillips [the author of Nixon's southern strategy etc.] used the term "apple pie authoritarianism" or some such to describe the Republican schizophrenia [or is it quadrophenia?] regarding the relationship between liberties and markets under capitalism. It would seem rather useful if we could find it; I first read in Holly Sklar's "Chaos or Community" if my memory cells are still reliable........

Ian