[lbo-talk] Lula to poor countries: quit whining

Thiago Oppermann thiago_oppermann at bigpond.com
Fri Jun 6 20:25:42 PDT 2003

[He's totally flipped.]

Lula says that poor countries must stop crying

Hudson Corrêa of Agência Folha, Alto Araguaia [trans. T.Oppermann]

Today at Alto Araguaia (426km from Cuiabá,) President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva criticised the position of "poorer countries" which adopt the posture of "crying" to the richer nations of Europe and the United States. Lula praised the "agricultural capacity" of Brazil and asked indirectly that the landless workers and agriculturalists should have patience until the government carries out "tranquil" and "nonviolent" land reform in the countryside.

"I noted that the governors of the poorer countries spend their whole time complaining that the United States does not give us that to which we think we have a right", affirmed Lula.

"Another part of the country spends the whole time complaining that Europe does not do for us that which we would like it did." He added, in reference to Russia, India, South Africa, Algeria, Mexico and Brazil.

According to Lula, Brazilians need to understand that "it does not help to keep crying to the European Union for it to reduce the subsidies it pays to its agriculturalists."

The president also affirmed that it is useless to appeal to the north American government, which would be giving incentive to the production of maize alcohol three times more expensive than the that produced from sugar cane in Brazil.

"Why not buy from us? First, because he [George Bush] needs to reelect himself there, and second, to maintain their agriculture functioning."

In Lula's assessment, it was a victory for Latin America that he participated in the G8, in Switzerland this week, a group that convenes the seven richest countries: USA, UK, Italy, France, Germany, Canada and Japan, and also Russia, due to its geographic and political importance.

"No one respects a negotiator which cries or who walks around with his head low", he said. He also said that he had meetings during the G8 session with governors from China, Russia, India, South Africa and Algeria.

Lula commented that he asked these countries to unite with the same policy regarding relations with the richer countries. "Certainly, that [policy] would not be crying so that the richer countries lower their subsidies. It would be them who would come to us offering their commodities," he assessed.

Landless Workers

Regarding economic growth in Brazil, Lula said that a "collective will" shall bring development to the country. "There is a people betting, there is an entrepreneurial class which has the conviction that this country cannot stop."

After mentioning the setting aside of 5.7 billion Reais for small scale agriculture, Lula turned to the subject of land reform, which, according to him, should be made "without violence." The president asked for patience.

Referring to the rural workers of Alto Araguaia, he affirmed "You are men of the agriculture, you know that when you put a little seed in the ground, no matter how hurried you are, you have to wait at least 120 days, and to make a little pig will take six months for you to eat the little critter." [ ok, ok...he said "bichinho" which is a cutesy form of "small animal."]

The intention of the president, however, would be that of not making promises. "Many times I prefer to say the truth, looking people in the face, than to say an easy lie," he said.

The president also compared the population to his kids. "I want to treat the Brazilian people with the same care and with the same passion with which I treat each one of my five children."

Lula inaugurated today the terminal of the Ferronorte railway n Alto Araguaia. He travelled by train a section of 97 km from Alto Taquari, 509 km from Cuiabá and arrived at 14:40h in the terminal.