[lbo-talk] re:Wolfowitz: Iraq war was about oil -- Guardian removes article and retracts it

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jun 7 15:54:36 PDT 2003

Wolfowitz: Iraq war was about oil by George Wright Wednesday June 4, 2003 http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,970331,00.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/corrections/story/0,3604,971436,00.html

Corrections and clarifications

Thursday June 5, 2003

A report which was posted on our website on June 4 under the

heading "Wolfowitz: Iraq war was about oil" misconstrued remarks

made by the US deputy defence secretary, Paul Wolfowitz, making it

appear that he had said that oil was the main reason for going to war

in Iraq. He did not say that. He said, according to the Department of

Defence website, "The ... difference between North Korea and Iraq is

that we had virtually no economic options with Iraq because the

country floats on a sea of oil. In the case of North Korea, the country

is teetering on the edge of economic collapse and that I believe is a

major point of leverage whereas the military picture with North Korea is

very different from that with Iraq." The sense was clearly that the US

had no economic options by means of which to achieve its objectives,

not that the economic value of the oil motivated the war. The report

appeared only on the website and has now been removed.

===== ***************************************************************** Those who take the most from the table, teach contentment. Those for whom the taxes are destined, demand sacrifice. Those who eat their fill, speak to the hungry, of wonderful times to come. Those who lead the country into the abyss, call ruling difficult, for ordinary folk. -- Bertolt Brecht http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal