[lbo-talk] Jeet Heer, LDTrotsky Ghost @ W.H.

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sat Jun 7 19:01:01 PDT 2003

Angela Davis was also a student there. Think Abrams mentions it in his, "Undue Process: How Political Differences Are Turned Into Crimes."

Heard Angela on the radio w/Richard Rorty the other day. Rorty was introduced as a, "Red-diaper baby anti-Communist, " which got alot of laughs. "My parents were loyal fellow-travelers of the Communist Party right up through 1932, the year after I was born. In that year my father ran a front organization called the League of Professional Groups for Foster and Ford (the Communist Party’s candidates for president and vice- president). My parents broke with the party after realizing the extent to which it was run from Moscow, and so I did not get to read the Daily Worker when I was a boy. By 1935 the (Dialy) Worker was printing cartoons of my father as a trained seal, catching fish thrown by William Randolph Hearst."

James in 1934 wrote, "Our Masters Voice, on Radio." Quote from it, ""The gargoyle’s mouth is a loudspeaker, powered by the vested interest of a two- billion dollar industry, and back of that the vested interests of business as a whole, of industry, of finance. It is never silent, it drowns out all other voices, and it suffers no rebuke, for it is not the voice of America? That is its claim and to some extent it is a just claim...

It has taught us how to live, what to be afraid of, what to be proud of, how to be beautiful, how to be loved, how to be envied, how to be successful...

Is it any wonder that the American population tends increasingly to speak, think, feel in terms of this jabberwocky? That the stimuli of art, science, religion are progressively expelled to the periphery of American life to become marginal values, cultivated by marginal people on marginal time?"