[lbo-talk] Stopping The Bush Juggernaut: Analysis and Strategies

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at enterprize.net.au
Sun Jun 8 17:02:30 PDT 2003

At 12:23 PM -0700 8/6/03, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

>This piece explores how Bush's "tenacious new
>adversary" can most effectively terminate his
>juggernaut. It starts by looking at the Bush
>administration's strengths and weaknesses and the ways
>it might be stopped or removed. Then it looks at the
>various forces around the world and in the U.S. that
>might want to contribute to doing so--the elements of
>the "other superpower." Finally it reviews how these
>forces might utilize the Bush team's weaknesses to
>force an end to its policies.

>http://www.foreignpolicy-infocus.org/papers/juggernaut/index.html

Excellent article. To my mind it also answers the dilemma of whether there is a difference between the Republicans and Democrats in the US. Yes there is and the left must do nothing which might prevent the Republicans prevailing, because, as that article explains:

"The Bush policies are creating the basis for a broad popular social movement that can challenge the whole rightward tilt of U.S. politics. Such a movement would represent the interests of the great majority of Americans and would have at least some institutional means of reaching and mobilizing that majority. It represents a base far larger than that of the Bush right, and, as we will see below, it is positioned to play a significant role in the political process. The peace movement should actively contribute to the construction of such a coalition."

There you have it. We need Bush. Because unlike the democrats the Republicans are creating the conditions necessary for a movement to challenge the US. They are awakening the world, which is surely what we want.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030609/637169e0/attachment.htm>