[lbo-talk] Art/Commerce

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 08:22:45 PDT 2003

I actually have a friend, my kids' godfather, a very fine graphic artist, many of whose original works I have in my home, who is to all appearances totally disconnected from commerce. He lives on SSI disability, before that, was an office mgr for a commie bookstore in Detroit and before that for the IWW. I have "paid" him for most of the things I have of his, but mainly to spare him embarassment at giving him gifts of money that he has needed for particular things, chiefly medicare care. What I have paid him must be a small fraction of the value of the work rated objectively, but he wouldn't take more than he needed at a time. jks

Dennis Perrin <dperrin at comcast.net> wrote:"I am always intrigued by art that emerges from commerce and, of course, the reverse."

* * *

"Like Shakespeare?"

jks

Like anything. What creative output in a consumer society is not connected in some way to commerce? Even the primitve scrawling of Basquiat found its way into the big money scene. Nothing escapes, no matter how low or seemingly beneath notice.

DP