[lbo-talk] Economics drivel

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Jun 9 10:34:10 PDT 2003

> All I know is that my bullshit detector goes berserk every
> time I hear an economist speak. I suspect they are
> deliberately trying to confuse us about things which are
> really quite simple and can't help suspecting if perhaps the
> intended function of the profession is not simply that of
> smoke-screen and camouflage?
>
> Bill Bartlett
> Bracknell Tas

Exactly. But speaking incomprehensible jargon prevents the riff raff from criticizing the brahmins. Take away that, and the "utlity function" becomes a "drop in a bucket" , "opportunity cost" becomes a "bird in hand is better than two on a bush" and similar all too familiar common sense cliches. This is a sure way for a Joe Schmoe saying "I do not need an overpaid brahmin to tell me that."

Wojtek