[lbo-talk] RE: Soviet nomenklatura privileges

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 9 10:36:51 PDT 2003

> > . In fact, I would go so
> >far as to say Russian culture doesn't really possess a notion of kitsch.
> >People love Soviet pop music.
>
>Soviet culture, classical music and dance aside, was all kitsch. The high
>art stuff was underground.

-- Russians wouldn't see it as kitsch (by "kitsch" I mean old-fashioned stuff you mock and utilize at the same time). You don't mean to be saying Bernes and Vysotsky are kitch?

>Which did NOT happen in Soviet times. A (very typical) emigre acquaintance
>of mine, came over in '90, was astounded to see, as she put it, American
>workers voluntarily flying the flag. Of course she'd see that now in Russia
> -- the Soviet flag, I mean.

Yes, you would. You would see it at CPRF rallies and on people's tee-shirts and jackets.

_________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail