[lbo-talk] Re: sweezy quote from 1970

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Mon Jun 9 16:05:14 PDT 2003

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 14:06:26 -0700, frank scott <frank at marin.cc.ca.us>

fs wrote:

> I wasn't reading him back then, but was sweezy a maoist? or, at least, a
> supporter of mao's program?
>
> fs

"Radical Paradoxes: Dilemmas of the American Left, 1945-1970, " by Peter Clecak, Harper and Row, 1974, with separate chapters on Sweezy, Paul Baran, Marcuse and C. Wright Mills, is a close reading of Sweezy's neo-Maoism during the 60's. See all those books MR Press put out by Charles Bettelheim too, esp. the 2 vols. on the Russian Revolution and Soviet social formation as state capitalist, no? Gave Thomas my copy of the MR special summer issue from '78 when Bettelheim quit the France-China Friendship Society and folks like a then maoist Robert Leiken replied along w/ Joan Robinson and Michael Yates and someone else I forget now.

Earlier in the decade, Castroism and focoismo ala Debray produced quite a few articles and books by MR Press, for example, " Regis Debray & the Latin American Revolution: A Collection of Essays Edited by:Leo Huberman Edited by: Paul M. Sweezy Binding: Paperback, 144 pages.

Methinks John Mage, though would prefer to forget MR Press ever published, "Albania Defiant, " or whatever the title was by the Hoxhaite/Maoist son of Gunnar and Alva Myrdal, Jan.

-- Michael Pugliese