[lbo-talk] Re: Self-sufficient fraud??? (was Re: Krugman)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jun 9 16:48:55 PDT 2003

Chuck Grimes wrote:

> And besides, it is the absolute duty of every person in this fucking
> country to question this shit and then do something about it, period.

This is the core of my disagreement. I don't see the grounds for making this demand. I do see the need for historical explanation for assuming such an obligation. No one would have assumed it, for example, even in the 17th century. Milton was not only eloquent -- he was a revolutionary: and at the core of his revolution was the perspective shown in the passage I quoted.

I think that perspective has ceased to be revolutionary and has become reactionary. The separated individual of capitalist society simply has no obligations (to begin with) other than to survive from day to day the best (s)he can. How and under what conditions it is possible to generate the (collective) determination you ask for is a key question leftist face.

Carrol