[lbo-talk] Re: Lbo-talk digest, Vol 1 #571 - 9 msgs

Jonathan Schwarz jonathan.schwarz2 at verizon.net
Tue Jun 10 11:46:57 PDT 2003

andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The story I like to tell here concerns FDR. Some labor leaders came to
> him in the mid 30s with a policy pitch. He listened politely, then
> said, OK, you convinced me. Now make me do it.
>
> So, no progress without struggle, you always need outside pressure.
> But it sure as hell helps if the guys in the inside being pushed don't
> mind so much being pushed and aren't pushing back too hard! Johnson
> and FDR wanted those changes. It made a difference.

This is from Rules for Radicals, the Saul Alinksy book:

"It is not enough just to elect your candidates. You must keep the pressure on. Radicals should keep in mind Franklin D. Roosevelt's response to a reform delegation, "Okay, you've convinced me. Now go on out and bring pressure on me!""

-- p. xxiii