[lbo-talk] Re: 14 characteristics of fascism

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Tue Jun 10 15:45:44 PDT 2003

>And if you read histories of British India by Indians (which I have), you
will not find the Raj treated as a
> period of Nazi-like terror, even by the Communist historians. Or maybe the
Indians are "white" too?
> After all, they are Ayrans -- maybe the only real ones! But the Brits
think that they are wogs and
> n-words. (Little black Sambo is an Indian, that's why the tiger.)
>
> jks

Justin,

British state atrocities were generally "laissez faire" rather than interventionist. Mike Davis's excellent _Late Victorian Holocausts_ (2000) is about this.

"Hunger strike" Sukhdev Sandhu Saturday January 20, 2001, The Guardian _Late Victorian Holocausts: El Nino Famines and the Making of the Third World_ Mike Davis 464pp, Verso, £20

"In Late Victorian Holocausts, Mike Davis charts the unprecedented human suffering caused by a series of extreme climactic conditions in the final quarter of the 19th century. Drought and monsoons afflicted much of China, southern Africa, Brazil, Egypt and India. The death tolls were staggering: around 12m Chinese and over 6m Indians in 1876-1878 alone. The chief culprit, according to Davis, was not the weather, but European empires, with Japan and the US."

* * * *

"A particular villain was Lord Lytton, son of the Victorian novelist Edward Bulwer-Lytton ("It was a dark and stormy night...") after whom, today, a well-known bad writing prize is named. During 1876 Lytton, widely suspected to be insane, ignored all efforts to alleviate the suffering of millions of peasants in the Madras region and concentrated on preparing for Queen Victoria's investiture as Empress of India. The highlight of the celebrations was a week-long feast of lucullan excess at which 68,000 dignitaries heard her promise the nation "happiness, prosperity and welfare".

"Lytton believed in free trade. He did nothing to check the huge hikes in grain prices, Economic "modernization" led household and village reserves to be transferred to central depots using recently built railroads. Much was exported to England, where there had been poor harvests. Telegraph technology allowed prices to be centrally co-ordinated and, inevitably, raised in thousands of small towns. Relief funds were scanty because Lytton was eager to finance military campaigns in Afghanistan. Conditions in emergency camps were so terrible that some peasants preferred to go to jail. A few, starved and senseless, resorted to cannibalism. This was all of little consequence to many English administrators who, as believers in Malthusianism, thought that famine was nature's response to Indian over-breeding."

"It used to be that the late 19th century was celebrated in every school as the golden period of imperialism. While few of us today would defend empire in moral terms, we've long been encouraged to acknowledge its economic benefits. Yet, as Davis points out, "there was no increase in India's per capita income from 1757 to 1947". In Egypt, too, the financial difficulties caused to peasants by famine encouraged European creditors to override the millennia-old tradition that tenancy was guaranteed for life. What little relief aid reached Brazil, meanwhile, ended up profiting British merchant houses and the reactionary sugar-planter classes."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/famine/story/0,12128,737405,00.html