[lbo-talk] Recent Dem Poll

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Jun 11 07:33:01 PDT 2003

> >More telling (but not surprising) is the fact that people
> would rather
> >vote for someone who has a chance of beating Bush than voting for
> >someone they agree with politically....
> >
> >http://www.gallup.com/poll/releases/pr030609.asp

It is that old goat story. A man comes to a rabbi and complaints that he lives in a very small house with his wife, children, in-laws, aunts, uncles etc. and he cannot afford to move to a bigger house. The rabbi says that he has a solution, but the man must agree to do exactly as told. The man agrees, and the rabbi tells him to go to the market, buy a goat, bring it to his house, and come back in two weeks. The man does as told, and two weeks later knocks on the rabbi's door. "How is your house?" asks the rabbi. "I should not have listened to you" replies the man "Now it is not only my wife, children, inlaws and family in that small house, but also that terrible animal! It's unbearable." "Well, then go to the market and sell the goat, and come back in a week" said the rabbi. A week later, the man knock on the rabbi's door again. "How is you house?" asks the rabbi. "Rabbi" replies the man smiling, "it is not a house, it is a mansion."

Wojtek