[lbo-talk] Another Poll

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Jun 11 13:55:56 PDT 2003

Doug:

> How did the Dems undermine Empire? The Clinton/Rubin admin did more
> for free capital flows than any government in human history. There
> were no significant challenges to U.S. power. It looked like
> capitalist Nirvana in 1999. There's just no evidence of
> dissatisfaction I can see.

Lull before the storm. With the progressing unification of Europe, US will find tougher competition and eventual decline of the hegemonic position in the financial markets. Stopping that by peaceful means was virtually impossible. Iraq war was throwing a monkey wrench into the process in several ways: by kicking European interest out of Iraq, by tighter control of oil which would affect predominantly Europe and Japan, and by getting Europeans fighting amongst themselves again. That gave the empire a boost for a while - but it required drastic means. I do not think that Clinton or Gore would use such means, so they had to go.

Wojtek