[lbo-talk] Another Poll

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu Jun 12 07:55:25 PDT 2003

Wojtek wrote:

>Doug:
>>
>> How do you know this? There wasn't a hint of it in the elite press -
>> these were far right concerns. And I still want proof that "control"
>> of oil has any economic effect.
> >

>Good question. I admit most of it is conjecture based on perceived
>conflicts of interests, and finding motives for seemingly irrational
>actions. But I am not alone in tha approach - see for example Kupchan's
>book _The End of the Amercian Era_ which takes a similar line, or for
>that matter, the way Rusmsfeld and Co. approached intelligence
>gathering. It is a "deductive" approach instead of an "inductive" one.
>That is, it starts with finding who had the motive, opportunity and
>means and then see whether he did it, instead of collecting pieces of
>evidence and then trying to connect the dots.

Watch out. Apply that method to the question of whether the Bushits deliberately allowed the 9/11 attacks to succeed and you'll have Chip Berlet et. al. convicting you of Conspiracy Theorizing.

Shane Mage

"immortals mortals, mortals immortals, living their deaths, dying their lives"

Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 62