[lbo-talk] American expats against Bush

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jun 12 10:08:55 PDT 2003

Open Invitation to the Inaugural Congress of American Voices Abroad, July 4-6, Berlin, Germany

American Voices Abroad is a non-partisan coalition bringing together Americans abroad in opposition to Bush's foreign and domestic policy.

After September 11, we experienced an unprecedented outpouring of sympathy in our host countries, only to see it squandered by Bush's aggressive unilateralism and disregard for world opinion. In cities such as Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam, London, Prague and Beirut, we acknowledged our special role as U.S. citizens by forming ad hoc groups to protest Bush's plans for Iraq. Our actions served to remind our host countries that Americans do not stand united behind the policies of the present U.S. government.

.From July 4-6 these groups will meet in Berlin to discuss strategies for opposing Bush's destructive policies and mending the international ties which he has put under such strain.

Visit the AVA website at <http://www.americansineurope.org/>.

Preliminary Schedule

Friday, July 4, 2003 ö Passionskirche, Berlin 8 p.m. ö 11 p.m. Alternative Independence Day Celebration Gala featuring Berlin-based American artists, to benefit children in Iraq through IPPNW (International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War) Presentation of a coalition declaration inspired by the Declaration of Independence

Saturday, July 5, 2003 ö DGB-Haus, Berlin 10 a.m. to noon Brunch

Noon to 3 p.m. Roundtable ö discussion, presentation of initiatives Signing of Declaration

4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Public symposium ö featuring prominent speakers and coalition representatives

7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Contemplation

10 p.m. to ?? Party at White Trash Fast Food (Berlin-Mitte)

Sunday, July 6, 2003 ö DGB-Haus, Berlin 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Press conference ö presentation of signed Declaration