[lbo-talk] Homer Simpson, the greatest American

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at enterprize.net.au
Thu Jun 12 22:07:47 PDT 2003

At 12:34 PM -0700 12/6/03, Ian Murray wrote:

>Homer eyes 'best American' prize
>
>Doh! Homer Simpson looks set to beat Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther
>King Jnr to the title of greatest American in a BBC online poll.

Clearly Homer is much loved and respected throughout the world. I'm not too sure how much this is to do with the fact that he is the ideal American, that is to say his warmth and perspicacity puts other Americans to shame and how much it is to do with the fact that he is fictional. Everyone would love to wake up one morning and discover that America and Americans had just been a bad sitcom, now mercifully cancelled.

But how about in America? How much is Homer loved there? He might make an excellent US President, don't you think? It would do wonders for US credibility overseas, if Americans want to be loved again, President Homer is definitely the ticket!

Let's face it, the Democrats could do worse. Or the republicans for that matter. (I can't see Homer as a Green somehow. That wild-eyed daughter of his maybe, but not good ol' Hoimer.)

I look forward to the Television debate. Imagine the RATINGS!

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas