[lbo-talk] Re: Self-sufficient fraud?? (was Re: Krugman)

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jun 13 06:28:22 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, Chuck Grimes wrote:

> We say, workers, but who isn't a worker? It is a
social anathema to say
> you don't work for a living. Sure we all work. But
none of us look
> like we stepped out of a Kathy Kolowitz drawing.

Who was it who wrote a book in the '60s or '70s that contained a simple test for being a worker that sticks in my mind? Roughly, it was as follows: just lie in bed all day for a month. If you are not very hungry at the end of that period, you are not a worker.

Very oversimplified, of course, but ...

Then again, you could manage to sell your skills to an employer who in turn sells your skills to a John.

Mike B)

===== ***************************************************************** Those who take the most from the table, teach contentment. Those for whom the taxes are destined, demand sacrifice. Those who eat their fill, speak to the hungry, of wonderful times to come. Those who lead the country into the abyss, call ruling difficult, for ordinary folk. -- Bertolt Brecht http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal