[lbo-talk] October Square

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 14 05:31:05 PDT 2003

>From: "Barkley Rosser" <rosserjb at jmu.edu>
>
> I have observed that the New Russians have
>transmogrified into a more sophisticated bunch
>that would fit in pretty well in California, health
>conscious sushi eaters, hanging out in chichi
>coffeehouses.
--- I don't think a New Russian would be caught dead in Kafe Tun. I think you're mistaking the middle class, which has really developed in Moscow since the crisis, for the nouveaux riches. The population of Moscow is probably about 30-40% middle class.

I define "middle class" in terms of income, not profession. As you are no doubt well aware, you can hawk pencils in the Moscow metro and earn several times more than a teacher does.

_________________________________________________________________ MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus