[lbo-talk] Homer Simpson, the greatest American

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at enterprize.net.au
Sun Jun 15 08:47:58 PDT 2003

At 5:47 PM +1000 15/6/03, Thiago Oppermann wrote:

>In my experience, and generalizing wildly, Australians love taking the piss
>out of themselves, in that disarming kind of way, but are horrified if
>anyone else pokes fun at them. It's the sort of self-deprecating humour that
>isn't self-deprecating at all, but the Aussies think it is, and it makes
>them think they are all the more immune to criticism.

As someone has already mentioned, being made fun of is not exactly the same as criticism. Its just an enjoyable way of bringing your mates up to speed on their weaknesses and inconsistencies. But I must admit that I would also be generalising wildly if I were to claim that Australians like people poking shit at them. Naturally some are more touchy than others, and some subjects are more sensitive in some quarters.

Still, its better to be deprecated than to be ignored, especially if you are an inconsequential nation like Australia. If you look at it like that, its the second highest form of flattery. Second only to imitation, but there doesn't seem to be an international rush to take up Aussie Rules football.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas