[lbo-talk] BBC NEWS | Middle East | Iranian protesters remain resolute

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 15 11:12:57 PDT 2003

Surely one of the saddest aspects of the (long predicted and quite natural it seems) unrest in Tehran is the apparent belief of some that the US will be a source of help and guidance.

For example…

********* The Iranian people have shown their urgent tendency for freedom. Now the US must start to support the demonstration by warning the Iran government not to act against the people. This enforcement from the outside and people's demonstration inside, will finally down the Iran regime.

We are waiting for immediate support of the US.

Farshad, Iran

*********

Woe be unto a people who look to outsiders to solve their problems. In the present context, the pathos of such a statement (if it is to be believed and represents a widely held view) is magnified beyond words.

While Thomas’ prediction that certain leftists will condemn the protests as “counter-revolutionary” is undoubtedly true, we needn’t fall prey to such silliness to see the many, many problems that will accrue, like winnings to a card counter, if (when) the Bushies bring their destructive and inept attentions to bear upon this movement.

If the Iranian movement is unable to prevent US interference, indeed, if many of them welcome it with a trusting wonder, the end result will be chaos. Has there ever been any other result to US interference? To any nation’s interference?

Remember, there were Afghanis and Iraqis who also looked to Bush to deliver them from their national horrors. Now, after seeing what their new, Kevlar suited friends have to offer, some of these same folks have decided that an AK47 and an RPG are more fitting gifts for Americans than sweet tea and flowers.

If Iran is added to the list of US sponsored ‘chaos-countries’ (following Afghanistan and Iraq) the blowback will be so immense that, well, we needn’t enter ‘alarmist’ territory.

DRM