[lbo-talk] (no subject)

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Mon Jun 16 08:40:05 PDT 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> >I get the impression from the Leftwing mailing lists that North
> >American "Leninists" don't know much about the socalled Third World.
> >They don't have the theory and they don't have facts.
>
> What are they missing?

To state the most obvious thing: Like everyone, they can only see things that their framework of thought allows them see. This framework is largely based on some version of theory of neocolonialism developed after WWII.What is unpalatable to this theory or other similar theories remains invisible. e.g. They can see that the US has imposed a trade embargo on Cuba. They can not see (or pretend not to see) that China's exports to US and Japan last year reached $170 bn. Or they can see that 300 million Indians suffer from malnutrition, but they can not see that 300 million Indians watch CTVs.

Ulhas