[lbo-talk] Re: Margolis: Why There is No WMD Outrage

Matthew Snyder matthew at pobox.com
Mon Jun 16 10:51:14 PDT 2003

Yoshie Furuhashi writes:
> It's not surprising that many don't know that WMD sightings have been
> proven false, but isn't it another thing entirely to hear that "about
> one-third of Americans think Iraq _used_ WMDs during the war"
> (emphasis added)? Has anyone made an insinuation that Iraq actually
> _used_ (rather than just possessed) WMDs during the war?

Does "WMD" even have a precise definition? Consider the shift in rhetoric after the initial (and ongoing) failure to find so-called weapons of mass destruction: Saddam became "his own WMD." (Of course, we failed to find him as well, but that's another story.) It's no surprise that given the imprecision of the term, Americans find it difficult to know whether such weapons were used.

-- Matthew Snyder Philadelphia, PA