[lbo-talk] Re: Margolis: Why There is No WMD Outrage

Jonathan Schwarz jonathan.schwarz2 at verizon.net
Mon Jun 16 12:30:38 PDT 2003

Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

> It's not surprising that many don't know that WMD sightings have been
> proven false, but isn't it another thing entirely to hear that "about
> one-third of Americans think Iraq _used_ WMDs during the war"
> (emphasis added)? Has anyone made an insinuation that Iraq actually
> _used_ (rather than just possessed) WMDs during the war?

I don't know if anyone claimed chemical or biological weapons had been used, but I do remember newscasts at the beginning of the war saying that Iraq had fired Scuds (also banned under the relevant Security Council resolutions) at US troops. Anchors were making comments like, "Today Saddam used the weapons he claimed he didn't have..."

So who knows what impression people got? Of course, they turned out to be non-prohibited rockets, not Scuds.