[lbo-talk] Russia Plans Embargo On Iraqi Oil Shipments

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Jun 17 07:24:58 PDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, The Financial Express (India) was quoted as saying

> Financial Express (India)
> June 17, 2003
> Russia Plans Embargo On Iraqi Oil Shipments
> Huma Siddiqui
>
> New Delhi, June 16: Russia is preparing to enforce embargo on oil
> shipments on high seas if its interests are not protected in any future
> Iraqi dispensation by the coalition forces. Sources said a recent
> Indo-Russian exercises in the Arabian sea was a hint and preparation for
> such a plan.

This seems completely barmy. It would mean Russia and India taking on the US navy at sea. Neither country is anywhere near that nuts. I think there's gotta be something wrong with this report. Like a vodka-drunk Russian underdiplomat talking to a credulous nationalist Indian reporter.

Michael