[lbo-talk] Russia Plans Embargo On Iraqi Oil Shipments

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Jun 17 08:54:37 PDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Chris Doss wrote:

> >>Russian subs are designed to hunt and kill American aircraft carriers.
> >>That's what the fleet is based on.
>
> More than likely not. They might put on a show of force, I suppose.
>
> What could the US really do in response, though (outside of responding
> with further naval power)?

That "outside" is exactly the problem, Chris -- this would be a declaration of war. Russia is not going to declare war on the US. It would violate all of Putin's policy even if it didn't defy all reason. Besides the fact that if they really want to tie up the oil they'll do much better in court muddying up the property rights, for a lot less money and no risk.

In think your second post makes it clear where this all comes from. It's trade fair hype. Russia wants to sell weapons systems to India. Their selling theme is "Our stuff is as good as the Americans' and much cheaper." And that planted story is essentially them boasting in a stage whisper "We could take the Americans anytime we want to. In fact we're even thinking of it. And so could you if you buy our stuff!"

Michael