[lbo-talk] neocons fading?

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Tue Jun 17 08:57:02 PDT 2003

On Monday, June 16, 2003, at 07:48 PM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> Their disdain for nation building doesn't mean they don't want to
> invade.
> It means they want to invade, set up a puppet, and leave.

But, AFAICT, that means setting up the puppet and then dropping the strings. How, in general, does a powerful nation keep control of puppets it has set up? Economic pressure or military pressure, I guess. What else?

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org ______________________________ We're not our skin of grime, we're not our dread bleak dusty imageless locomotive, we're all beautiful golden sunflowers inside... -- Sunflower Sutra, Allen Ginsberg