[lbo-talk] spam subjects

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Jun 17 13:23:08 PDT 2003

> Does anyone understand why spammers recently started using nonsense
> subject headings? I just got this: "litus asden uunwom."
>
> Doug

My guess is to fool the spam protection software, which more and more institutions (including JHU) use. I understand that spam detector analyzes the contents of the subject line, so nonsense subject heading would disable that feature. Not that spam detection software used by JHU is of any use - most of the messages labeled as spam are sort of legit, while almost none of the advertisement is labeled as such.

Wojtek