[lbo-talk] Margolis: Why There is No WMD Outrage

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Jun 17 13:44:59 PDT 2003

From: Thiago Oppermann

-clip-

Also: The notion that we were deceived into a war, at least deceived unwillingly, is strikes me as horribly naive. It seems related to the idea that one day a really juicy nugget of b.s. will fall off the governnent wagon and people will just see how much crap we've been fed. But it doesn't happen that way. Scandals don't usually compound each other. One replaces another, not by resolution but by obsolescence. For example, here in Australia, some years ago, there was a very high degree of outrage over the rate at which Aborigines were being incarcerated, which surpasses blacks during Apartheid, and the huge death rate they suffered in jail. The problem was never solved, but leftwing attention sort of drifted, towards the stolen generations issue Grant, Bill and I were discussing before. That too just got displaced, by the concentration camps. And that by the war. And that by the Governor General, who turned out to be a raving mysogynist and had to resign amidst mounting sex scandals. But that's gone, replaced by the WMDs. Everything changes everything. A building blows up, there is no more past... so we must wait to be annihilated/redeemed by the next big thing. It's a kind of news cycle messiahnism.

^^^^^^^^^

CB This description fits the seeming pattern of many U.S.ers, who don't seem to remember what happened last week in the news. It is a sort of political Alzheimer's consciousness, always living in the present. What would that be ? Mass existentialism ?