[lbo-talk] German Greens do a Clinton

Bob Morris bob at bomoco.com
Tue Jun 17 14:34:21 PDT 2003

German Greens, while professing liberal goals, have charged to the center in an attempt to out-right the Right. Clinton blew up the Democratic Party trying that same very ploy...

http://www.dw-world.de/english/0,3367,1432_A_894521_1_A,00.html

"The Green Party, German Chancellor Schröder's junior coalition partner, has given solid support to the chancellor's controversial package of social and economic reforms at a special party conference. Chancellor Schröder's bold attempts to overhaul Germany's overburdened social security system and rigid labor market found further acceptance on Sunday with Green party voting overwhelmingly in favor of his reform course."

"The Green Party’s most prominent member and Germany’s Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer characterized the reform vote as an acid test for Green beliefs and principles. "It’s a question of whether we manage to carry through the reforms on our own, instead of leaving it to the right of center parties," he said. Fischer emphasized the implementation of reforms wasn’t just meant for the country, but also to give "a new perspective to Red-Green."

A 'new perspective for Red-Green'?