[lbo-talk] "Our Sorry Asses Are Ready to Go Home"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jun 18 01:25:22 PDT 2003

***** New York Times June 15, 2003 Anxious and Weary of War, G.I.'s Face a New Iraq Mission By STEVEN LEE MYERS

...After fighting their way from the Kuwaiti border to Saddam International Airport in three fierce weeks, they believed that the war - or at least their part of it - was over.

Six months after arriving in Kuwait and almost three months after entering Iraq, they were ready to go home. Then they discovered that, at least from a soldier's-eye view on the ground, there seemed to be no American plan for a postwar Iraq.

The mayhem that followed the collapse of Mr. Hussein's government on April 9 has thrust them into a new mission: keeping peace, even as their weary minds and bodies are still at war.

"You call Donald Rumsfeld and tell him our sorry asses are ready to go home," Pfc. Matthew C. O'Dell, an infantryman in Sergeant Betancourt's platoon, said as he stood guard on Tuesday. "Tell him to come spend a night in our building."...

<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/15/international/worldspecial/15ARMY.html> ***** -- Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://solidarity.igc.org/>