[lbo-talk] Black in the USSR ( or Russia ?)

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 18 07:49:24 PDT 2003

CB: But honestly , Michael, what strikes me when you say that is that you seem to think that most of the people on this list are deluded by pro-Soviet propaganda that you need to disabuse them of. That just doesn't seem accurate. There is plenty of awareness here of the crimes and failures of the Soviet Union, Stalinists, Leninists , Maoists, etc. We are not some exception to the general American consciousness that is plenty packed with anti-Soviet and anti-communist information. Really what is needed here for balance and historical accuracy is that extremely rare thing in America: appreciation of what the Soviets and Communists did right. --- I agree with you completely. There seems to be some kind of unofficial ban in the US, even on the left, that the USSR ever did anything right, no matter what. They would try to claim the USSR's victory over WWII as an evil if they could. It's like they think the USSR was Mordor or something, rather than an incredibly complicated, historically unique society that lasted for generations.

_________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail