[lbo-talk] Dean: hang 'em high!

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Wed Jun 18 11:25:55 PDT 2003

jks:

"Plus there is the added kick that the people on whom I could see using the rope (or needle) are the richest and most powerful elements of our own society . . . . I mean, I really can't see the point in wasting food on Henry Kissinger. There might a hungry rat somewhere who needed it more."

Well, either one is against the death penalty or one is not, regardless of perp. In fact, like speech itself, the more odious the figure, the more you defend your position. But given all that, and the fact that I'm anti-cap punishment, I still favor televised executions, simply because I think the public should see what they claim to support. And none of this pay-per-view shit -- it's Fox or nothing.

As for Dean coming out in favor of "limited" uses of the needle, I think that's a mistake. He should've come out full throttle and offered to go to Gitmo to personally execute a Taliban prisoner -- a bullet to the head, like that famous photo from Vietnam. That would put Rove on his ass come the campaign. You think W would try something like that?

DP