[lbo-talk] Dean: hang 'em high!

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at enterprize.net.au
Wed Jun 18 18:58:30 PDT 2003

At 11:23 AM -0700 18/6/03, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>Bill, I am not a pacificist. I support some politically motivated killing.

I'm not a pacifist either. It is not necessary to be opposed to all forms of violence in order to be opposed to executing people as a means to achieve political objectives.

>World War II, which was politically motivated killing is anything was, was absolutely essential.

I believe what you mean to say is that it was necessary for those people attacked to defend themselves. (You don't mean you support Hitler's launching of the war, presumably?) I'm not a pacifist, so I don't have any disagreement with the argument that those who are attacked have a right to defend themselves, or indeed that they have a right to come to the defense of someone else.

> I also agree that executing war criminals and criminals against humanity is politically motivated. I don't think that's a bad thing. Politically, I condemn war crimes and crimes against humanity. jks

What is your reasoning, if any, for believing that it is a good thing to execute these people? What political ends do you believe justify executing a helpless prisoner.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas