[lbo-talk] Dean: hang 'em high!

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Thu Jun 19 10:06:14 PDT 2003

> CB: All line drawing eventually runs into exceptions. That's dialectics.
> Why would we care what old fashioned racists believed about this issue ?
> Relatively recent biology draws the line between species based on ability
> produce fertile offspring. ( I'm trying to remember how many times I've
said
> that, in fact all three of these assertions, on LBO over the years. Deja
vu
> was an indication of some kind of unusual intervention by the systems
> controllers in the second Matrix movie. I wonder if these recurrent
> discussion themes are a spiral or a circle )

It is true that the chacteristics differentiating one species from another are clearer than those separating one sex from another, which are clearer than those separating one race from another. However, I think the shakiness of arguments to the effect "species don't really exist" is also shared in kind (though not nearly to the same degree) by arguments that conclude that "races don't really exist."

-- Luke