[lbo-talk] Dean: hang 'em high!

Christian Gregory christian11 at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 19 11:16:06 PDT 2003

>In the same vein, one should do certain things not because they are useful, but because they are right and one has the duty to do what is right. As any ethic, you can accept or reject it, but you cannot argue that it is irrational or inferior.

I can accept that you ought to do what is right. But I'm unclear about why you think in the case mentioned it would be right.

>I think I already said it several times during this discussion that this is an altogether different subject - that of application rather than than of principle. One may be a supporter of death penalty in principle but oppose its application under specificl circmustances.

That's fine, though I'd like to know why then you were so outraged by the idea of Rideau getting paroled.

And, btw, I indicated that it wasn't about the number of minorities on death row, but about the disparity in punishment for capital crimes.

Christian