[lbo-talk] Dean: hang 'em high!

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Thu Jun 19 11:22:54 PDT 2003

Here is a fellow gay male San Franciscan active in, "Gay Shame, " which has creative Abbie Hoffmanesque actions against the commodification of Gay Pride, Inc. but he gets all pissy about the "violent" cream pieing of notorious homophobe, Fred Phelps, who at the funeral of Matthew Shepard, had picket signs saying Matthew was in hell being fried forevermore in the fires.

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 20:44:47 -0700 (PDT) From: Kevin <caoimhin33 at yahoo.com> Subject: Re: [ufp_discussion] Homophobic Reverend Creamed with Pies, Again by joint ef... To: DavidMcR at aol.com, debsian at pacbell.net, dhenwood at panix.com, lesliecagan at igc.org, stgault at earthlink.net, MandyCarter2002 at aol.com This "creaming" is just another form of violence and intimidation. No stranger to the violence of others, I know that destroying the hate behind the message of Phelps and co. will not come about by simulated forms of violence (in mirror image of the simulation of violence Phelps brings to us). And if violence could solve our problems, why stop at pieing and not just assasinate him? why even joke around when so many of our kind are murdered by religious fundamentalists like him? You (whoever) can go so far as arranging this type of thing but cannot shoot him or stab him to stop him as a person??...but yet you can simulate the act like life really was/is a stage. The problem I see with "voyeurs" of violence is that like every serial killer they have the need to brag about their actions to get thier kicks from it, though no one has been killed. I bet it gave those who did it such a thrill to pie someone because they hated their ideas...but how brave would they have been to debate a nut like Phelps one on one?   It is not progressive or revolutionary to support these type of acts. We are on the defensive, but in no ways do we ever have to resort to simulated violence to silence our opponents. Like Allen Ginsberg said, you should not threaten your adversaries, but become closer to them.   There are other ways of discrediting our adversaries other than this. But if violence or simulated violence is all you can muster to make your point, fine, but realize that what you start doesn't end with what you do. You begin or prolong the chain and if you can't take responsiblity for the course you set or perpetuate in motion, then you shouldn't embark on that path to begin with. If you can't accept responsibility for your actions in every case, then you shouldn't be so carefree in taking part in actions whose end results you can't control. I don't believe in violent revolution. It's only through social change within the mind that will give us the world we want. Violent revolution is for always discredited and violent acts disguised as revolutionary are cheap, imitated, and comical. All violent revolutionaries are dead - long live non-violent revolution!!!   Kevin Weaver SF --- DavidMcR at aol.com wrote:

=== message truncated ===

-- Michael Pugliese