[lbo-talk] Query re: Bizarre "Returned Mail" Messages

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Fri Jun 20 10:31:31 PDT 2003

It's a virus/worm. The authors are doing one of two things (I didn't look at it closely enough to say which, but it doesn't matter). 1. They're writing the virus so that it looks like a bounce message, hoping you'll open the attachment to find out what message was, ostensibly, bounced. 2. Someone on a list you post to, a friend, a colleage, whatever was infected with a virus. The worm then replicates itself by sending itself to everyone in the infected user's address book. As it does so, it forges the from address, randomly selecting any old address in the infected user's address book. Now, it looks like you sent the virus and every time the virus gets sent someplace where there's a virus scanner, that virus scanner is set to notify you that your mail (NOT!) was infected with a virus so it didn't reach the recipient. 3. some combination of 1 and 2.

Set a filter rule to dump them all in the trash. Find some common characteristic, like "Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details".

I feel your pain, my real estate agent was infected last summer. When the worm replicated, I was the lucky winner of the Forged From Address Sweepstakes. I was receiving 100s of these things a day for two months until it finally subsided.

Kelley